Wednesday, June 09, 2010
I cannot quite believe it - but here it is!! An article highlighting Auckland's design hot spots that Alisha and myself wrote has been published by top international design blog, design*sponge.
The illustration on the right is by Julia Rothman of design*sponge. We have our own illustration!!!
I want to take this opportunity to personally thank the legendary Josie Campbell who provided fab input for local press releases.
I hope you enjoy the Auckland City Guide published by design*sponge. Pretty pretty please leave comments at the bottom of the article.... We hope you enjoy our Auckland City Guide, and find some great new places to visit from it.
Day 27: 8th June 2010
Tip 5: Collaboration is huge right now. Make the most of it and you never know where it may lead!
Posted by melissa-jade gregan at 4:29 AM
Tuesday, June 08, 2010
As it turns out...I have my first exhibition in less than 4 weeks - 26 days. Pause and breathe. These last few days I have been thinking about whether it's possible to get occupational overuse syndrome from embroidering...
Anyhoo, as I squirrel away cushions and such in preparation for said exhibition, I have been searching for sparkles to be inspired by. There are so many new and vintage pretty pretty things being handmade by clever people who bless me with their online shops. If I was not saving pennies for my August trip to Europe (topic of fun future blogs) I would be waiting by my mailbox for these pretty sparkly objects to arrive.
Then this evening I stumbled across an article highlighting the growth of 'handmade' in Hong Kong! Two of my favourite things - Hong Kong, sigh, and handmade. Then, to my absolute delight, the article described an organisation started by an American living in Hong Kong to work with disadvantaged local women. And their products are stunning. STUNNING! Please excuse the all-capital excitement just recorded, but you have to see these things. I am regenerated by these incredible bags.
So I leave you with these goodies - Bez & Oho. Drool away friends, drool away. My personal fave is the last photo...sigh. I am truly inspired.
Day 27: 8th June 2010
Tip 5: Be inspired
Posted by melissa-jade gregan at 12:52 AM
Wednesday, June 02, 2010
- He aha te mea nui o te ao?
He tangata! He tangata! He tangata!
- What is the most important thing in the world?
- It is people! It is people! It is people!
- This is my absolute favourite Maori proverb. I guess it may rub some people the wrong way, but personally, I love the total commitment to the answer - It is people! Exclamation mark.
- This is what I have been thinking about these last few days. How far could I get, in any area in life, without the people around me?
- That's where everything on this earth begins and ends, right? I don't mean that in a 'replacing spirituality' kind of way. I mean, from the beginning of our life, people, other people, impact us. We are grown in a person, fed by people, taught affection and character and habits by people...
- How important people are. To us, as human beings. These are the things I have been mulling over this last week (in no particular order)...
- The comments people made when they saw my first cushions and the seed planted by that
- The patience of friends when I get stuck in a creative rut
- Consistent encouragement from particular friends
- Lessons people have taught me to continue the growth of my creativity
- Friends who come into my life for a particular season and taken me on a path I could not have known without them!
- Certain people have more influence on my creativity
- How grateful I am to those who have taken the time to teach me, encourage me, do tasks for me, love me and buy my product!
- Do I do enough for you to warrant an equal relationship, over all?
- How can I pay all these good works forward, look after others like I have been looked after?
- How do I get and keep peoples attention for Blanket Statements?
- Cats are human too
- My husband is perfect. Just perfect.
This is what has been filling my ginger head, wonderful people. I appreciate your patience, guidance, love and incredibly helpful teachings. In Cantonese - Do je lei. Thank you so much.
Day 20: 1st June 2010
Tip 4: Remember people.
Posted by melissa-jade gregan at 3:37 AM